Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Liverpool Light (Thanksgiving class song )


Here is the song we are going to learn for Thanksgiving Day. It is an old favorite of mine and tells the story of sailor who just wants to get back home from his long voyage at sea. The longing described in the song is emphasized by the very singable refrain. Bill Staines, the author, has composed many wonderful singalong songs. He is also a champion yodeller!

Liverpool Lightby Bill Staines

Cho: Singing, Shine, shine, Liverpool light
Shine on your children below;
Singing, Shine, shine, Liverpool light
Shine on your children below.


1) I've sailed this island for most of my life
All the way from the Minch to Dundee
And in Liverpool once I did take me a wife
And it's her that I'm longing to see (Cho.)

2) Three months ago April I left her with child
A child that was mine sure as she.
But she'd not complain, for she's gentle and mild
And it's her that I'm longing to see. (Cho.)

3) I've sinned a lot, for a sinner I be;
As a sailor, I've sailed in the storms.
But in Liverpool, that’s where I'm longing to be,
With her arms wrapped around me so warm.( Cho.)

4) When the light from your tower is all that I see,
And her footsteps they run to the door.
Then I'll lift up my glass and for all men to see,
I will vow to go sailing no more. (Cho.)

No comments: