Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Polly Wolly Doodle: Pronunciation Practice Singalong

To my students,
Singing along with a nonsense song is a good way to concentrate on improving pronunciation. Shirley Temple rewrote this children's ditty for a film she starred in when she was just a little curly-haired girl. Good luck and enjoy!
David

Polly Wolly Doodle

Oh! I eat watermelon and I have for years,
sing Polly-wolly-doodle all the day;
I like watermelon but it wets my ears,
sing Polly-wolly-doodle all the day.

Maybe grass tastes good to a moo cow's mouth…
But I like chicken 'cause I'm from the south…

Fare-thee well, fare-thee well,
Mister gloom be on your way,
If you think you're gonna worry,
You can stop it in a hurry,
Sing Polly-wolly-doodle all the day!


A woodpecker pecks till he gets his fill…
But the woodpecker pays 'cause it's on his bill...

Oh! I feed my pigs with molasses yam…
They should be sweeter than they really am…

Ev'rything went wrong but it turned out right…
The skies were gray but the future's bright…

A polly is a parrot, we all know well,
But just what a wolly is I can't tell.
I wouldn't know a doodle if one came along,
But polly-wolly-doodle
Makes a darn good song!

1 comment:

David Shea said...

Wow is this a cool film clip and an amazing song. I didn't know that Shirley Temple composed her own lyrics sometimes.