Wednesday, September 16, 2009

RED RIVER VALLEY

To my singing students!

I don't know much about this old cowboy song, except that it is a family favorite of us Sheas. It also has a lilting melody that is clearly Irish in origin. By the way, I don't think many cowboys actually used expressions like "I bid you adieu" but that's okay!

Hope you enjoy singing it. -- David

RED RIVER VALLEY
From this valley they say you are going,
We will miss your bright eyes and sweet smile.
For they say you are taking the sunshine,
That has brightened our pathways awhile.

Come and sit by my side, if you love me,
Do not hasten to bid me adieu.
Just remember the red river valley,
And the cowboy who loved you so true.

I've been thinking a long time, my darling,
Of the sweet words you never did say.
Now, alas, must my fond hopes all vanish?
For they say you are going away.

Do you think of the valley you're leaving?
Oh, how lonely and dreary it will be.
Do you think of the kind hearts you're breaking?
And the pain you are causing to me?

(Irish Cowboy Song by James Kerrigan, apparently from the 1850s)

No comments: