Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cristina A remembers her basketball team!




            When I was a child I used to play basketball. I started to play it when I was six years old in the sports hall of my town. My father asked me if I would like to play it in order to do some sport and I said yes because we used to watch basketball together.

           Playing basketball I met some of my best friends and we are still best friends twenty one years later. We used to be together a lot because we trained twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) but sometimes we used to practice even on Fridays because on Saturdays we used to play against other teams of the island such as Gran Tarajal or Corralejo.

            One year we were in the same league as Lanzarote's team and we used to play one Saturday here and the Saturday after that in Lanzarote. We were looking forward to playing against them because we used to have a lot of fun on the trip. Our journey started very early, at eight o'clock we used to have breakfast in Corralejo port and then get the boat to Lanzarote. Once we finished the match we used to eat all together at the nearest restaurant. Then we would spend the afternoon in Playa Blanca visiting shops and having fun while waiting for the boat to our home in Fuerteventura.

            At the age of sixteen we had to stop playing basketball because our trainer had a much better job. He could not coach us anymore because he did not have enough time for us. It was a tough time for me and my team mates.

I would say, though, that those times were fantastic, very amusing, and nowadays some of my friends and I still play basketball for fun.
Cristina A (NA 1, Monday nights, Puerto del Rosario)

No comments: